October Teacher Resource Guide
Garlanded in spectacular red and yellow leaves, noted for its mild days and crisp, frosty nights, October is the month of Halloween, jack-o-lanterns, and migrating birds heading southward for warmer climates. Fields dotted with haystacks glowing in the sun, piles of bright orange pumpkins near neatly-painted barns, rustling piles of fallen leaves, and, in some areas of the northern hemisphere, frequent clear, clean skies are all things that we think of when October is mentioned.
However, there are also some unusual things about October that may pique your interest and make you appreciate the uniqueness of the months that make up our year. One small detail of October, for example, is that more American presidents have been born in this month than in any other. Six presidents of the New World's oldest republic came into the world during this month - John Quincy Adams, Rutherford Hayes, Chester Arthur, Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and Jimmy Carter. This is an odd example of how chance can sometimes group related things together without there being any particular meaning to it. Read More About The Month of October
How Fall Works Set
- Season Explanations
- Print and Go!
Signs of Fall Series
- Great For The Season
- Kids Love It!
Notable October Holidays, Events, and Celebrations
- See All Events, Holidays, and Celebrations of October
- On October 1st Henry Ford introduced the Model T.
- On October 2nd Mahatma Gandhi was born.
- October 4th through the 10th is Love Your Pets Week and World Space Week.
- On October 6th Thomas Edison introduced motion pictures.
- On October 11th Eleanor Roosevelt was born.
- October 12th is Columbus Day.
- On October 14th Dwight D. Eisenhower was born.
- October 12th is World Food Day.
- October 18th through the 24th is Teen Read Week.
- October 19th is What's Your Invention Day.
- October 24th is United Nations Day.
- On October 26th Hillary Rodham Clinton was born.
- On October 27th Theodore Roosevelt was born.
- October 30th is Halloween.
- October is National Book Month, Scientist Appreciation Month, International Dinosaur Month, Children's Health Month, and Energy Awareness Month.