What Are Some Basic Test Taking Strategies I Can Use?
Using certain basic test taking strategies is very important. If you believe that you can ace your test taking just by studying hard, you may be wrong. You cannot get high grades, if you do not know how to go about taking a test, no matter how hard you study. Hence, utilizing test taking strategies can really help enhance your learning skills. There are different types of tests, which require different types of test strategies to follow.
Test taking strategies:
1. Preparing for the tests: It is important to find out your preferred learning styles, before preparing for the tests. In addition, you need to follow some strategies.
- Maintain good study habits.
- Ensure that you understand all the homework assignments.
- Plan a study schedule and follow it strictly.
- Don't hesitate to ask help to your teacher.
- Use past homework assignments and other materials.
- Try to boost your study skills by turning in homework on time.
2. Test taking strategies during the test:
- Read the directions thoroughly.
- Attempt to read every possible answer to a same question.
- Don't think about the entire test. Instead pay attention to one test at a time.
- Reread whenever necessary, so that you can select the correct answer.
- Avoid guess works. This is particularly important for multiple choice questions. Try to find out the answers by reasoning.
- Analyze what the question exactly calls for.
- If you find any question too difficult to answer, you can skip it and answer all the remaining questions. Then try to attend the difficult questions.
- If you want to change an answer, erase it completely and pick the right one.
- If time permits, check your answers.
Test taking strategies for objective questions:
Multiple choice or objective questions are highly beneficial in assessing your learning skills. While studying for the tests, you need to gain thorough knowledge on each topic. Some basic test taking strategies can help you to achieve high grades in these exams.
- Pay attention to keywords like always, except, none and except.
- Try to find out the central idea of the question.
- Try to find out the answer for the question, before looking at the options.
- Do not change the answer, unless you are sure that it is wrong. Erase the first answer thoroughly.
- Confirm whether you would be penalized for guessing.
- Read all the questions and answer the simple questions first.
- If time permits, review both questions and answers. Sometimes, you may read the questions wrong if you are in a hurry.
Test taking strategies for solving problems: While attending a test that involves solving problems, try to understand the main point of the question. It is not advisable to give fast answers based on previous knowledge. Instead, try to solve by carefully analyzing the questions. It is a good idea breaking the problem into parts and solve it systematically. Be sure to start from the simple step. You can solve the problems by creating pictures in your mind. Read the problem several times and try to understand the basic concept clearly. Avoid guessing and review your work.
Test taking strategies for essay questions: While answering essay questions, you can use some basic test taking strategies to get great success. Read the questions first and then start writing. Start with a direct response to the questions. You can highlight the keywords. It is advisable writing down the ideas on a scrap paper. This helps avoid forgetting any important ideas. It is important to provide specific information on the essay. Spend a few minutes to correct grammar and spelling errors.