Ultimate "How to Study" Guide
- Teacher and Students Love It!
- Improve Study Skills
Learning Styles Inventory
- Discover Your Learning Mode
- Improve Test Scores!
Top 10 Tips When Studying for Tests
Skills Teacher Resources | Study
Studying for tests can be a pleasant experience, if you plan it perfectly.
Time management is the key for effective studying. Plan well and decide on how
much time you can allot for studying every day. Also figure out the length of
each subject and the approximate time taken. If you feel comfortable with one
subject, then you can allot a minimum time to that subject and give priority
to complicated subjects. A simple, yet effective technique to improve your learning
skills is to break the large topics into chunks. Generally, most of the students
can concentrate for about forty five minutes and after that they may need a
break. You can take this into account, while studying for tests.
Tips to study well for tests:
- If you want to prepare for your Math test, you need to start learning from
homework assignments. You can do some practice problems, especially those
recommended by your teacher. As Math is full of problems, you can increase
your study skills by looking for the patterns in the different types of homework
- You can use your learning styles to develop some study strategies. You can
use oral recitation, audio tapes, diagrams or mnemonics that target your learning
- While preparing for tests involving multiple choice questions, focus your
attention on studying facts and details. You can study old exam question papers
to determine the level of thinking required of you.
- You can learn in group and focus more attention on the differences among
the facts and ideas. While learning concepts, consider how two similar concepts
- It is always beneficial to learn the material. If you know the right answer
for the multiple choice questions, you need not even look at the other choices.
- A useful tip that can be followed when studying for essay test is to review
the titles of each chapter and to think of chain of ideas and related terms
that fit into that theme. You can practice essay questions and ensure whether
you include vocabulary terms in your notes.
- Studying in groups can help to discuss the important concepts. Some of your
friends in the group may understand some concepts and they can help others
to understand those concepts. Quizzing each other can help to learn the subjects
- If you prefer studying alone, select a place where there is minimum distraction.
It is not advisable to listen to music or watch TV, while studying your lessons.
It is virtually impossible to concentrate on two different things at a same
- It is important to read the lessons in an active manner. If you continue
thinking, your mind eventually wanders off and you may even fall asleep. It
is sensible to read the lessons slowly, so that you can understand each concept
better. After reading each concept, ask yourself why?
- Many students find the night before the test to be their final chance to
learn. The last resort method cannot bring the expected results. It is in
fact important to sleep well before the test, because this can keep your energy
and alertness on a high.
In addition to following these top ten tips, you need to know how to manage
time, while studying for tests. You need to spend some definite hours daily
for preparing for the tests. If you have any free time during tests, do
not be tempted. Try to utilize the time effectively. Take breaks after studying
for two or three hours. If time permits, you can make up some plausible
questions and answer them.
Ultimate Guide to Spelling
- Learning to Spell?
- For All K-12 Students
Student Forms Pack
- 109 Student Printables
- Awesome Series