September Teacher Resource Guide
The ninth month of the modern calendar -- still called the 'seventh month' as a holdover from the days when the Roman year started in March - September is the end of summer and the start of autumn in most of the northern half of the globe (while Spring is just starting in Australia and South America). It's a time of warm days and cool nights, the first autumn colors in the trees, and sometimes, the first frosts in the northern areas of the U.S., Europe, and Russia. It is also a month that has seen a lot of human events, and some interesting things also happen in the natural world as the seasons change.
September is a month when a lot of mushrooms spring up in the woods - from tiny, delicate cups with slender stems growing off a log, to huge red agarics with white spots on their caps, to disgusting-looking jelly fungi on rotting wood. The reason might seem to be mysterious, or simply because there is more rain in September than in the late summer. The wet September weather does contribute to all those mushrooms coming up, but there is another, odder reason as well. The ground has been heating up steadily over the summer, thanks to high temperatures and lots of sun, and because dirt holds heat well, the ground stays warm into September. When the autumn rains combine with that warm dirt, conditions are just right for a lot of mushrooms to sprout. So leftover August ground heat and September rains are both keys to why the woods are full of mushrooms at this time of year. Read More About The Month of September
Ultimate Teacher Timesavers
- Over 600!
- Teacher Forms
Start of School Worksheets
- Over 50,000+
- Teachers Love It!
Notable September Holidays, Events, and Celebrations
- See All Events, Holidays, and Celebrations of September
- September 6 is Read a Book Day
- September 7 is Labor Day
- September 8 is International Literacy Day
- September 11 is the anniversary of the attacks on the United States
- September 17 is Citizenship Day
- On September 17 the Constitution of the United States was signed.
- September 21 is International Peace Day
- September 22 is the First Day of Autumn / Fall
- September 25 is Native American Day
- The 3rd Week of September is National Constitution Week.
How Fall Works Set
- Print Them Quick!
- Awesome Sets
Signs of Fall Series
- Great For The Season
- Kids Love It!