|Here are some great tips for reinforcing
spelling regardless of your subject area or grade level. Our video features
the collaboration of three dozen teachers. Our tips will not only help
students learn to spell words, but also visually retain the words.
- Post the words.
- Have students "Say" the word. Then "Spell"
the word out loud. Then "Write" the word. Finally have students
"Draw" a picture of something that represents the word.
- Have students use the words in a story.
- Present the words to students in chunks. For example
the word together. Present it in three chunks. To-Get-Her.
- Have students keep a personal spelling journal. Any
words they have trouble with go in the journal.
- Inform parents and guardians of the words by sending
home list. They can help you from home.
- Create a "Words I Can't Spell" rule.