Websites For Learning All About Light and Color
- Causes of color
- Explore the phenonmena that create our colorful world.
- Color FAQ
- Clarifies aspects of colour specification and image coding that are
important to computer graphics, image processing, video, and the transfer
of digital images to print.
- Color and Color Vision
- Explains additive and subtractive colour mixing, the mixing of wavelengths,
Newton's dispersion of white light to show the colours of the rainbow.
- Fraunhofer Lines
- Prominent Fraunhofer lines in the spectrum of the sun are shown, together
with their corresponding wavelengths. Very pretty!
- Glossary of Color
Science Terms - When one speaks about color, some of these terms are
sure to be used.
- How Does a Pinhole
Camera Work? - Explains the principles behind the pinhole camera.
- How Light Works
- Explains light in terms of photons to explain reflection, refraction
Applet - Java applet exploring reflection and refraction of light
beam and laser beam.
- Molecular Expressions:
Science, Optics and You - An educational resource for the science
of optics and the physics of light and color intended for teachers, students,
and the general public.
- Oatmeal Box Pinhole Photography
- Photo gallery plus directions to make a pinhole camera, take pictures
and develop them. Also, links to other pinhole camera sites.
- Optical Fibres Project -
How optical fibers work, and information on reflection, refraction, Snell's
Law, total internal reflection and critical angles.
- Optics 4 Kids - Tells about
the science of light and answers common questions. Also explores careers
in optics. From the Optical Society of America.
- Optics for Kids
- An overview of the basics of optics, also discusses careers in science
- Polarized Light - Fascinating
facts about polarized light, from rainbows to beetles, from viking navigation
to LCD displays. Myths and truth about polarized sunglasses. Also a shop
with polarized-only items.
- The Reflection
and Refraction of Light - Uses geometry to predict reflection from
plane and spherical mirrors, and looks at how speed and wavelength varies
with different media.
- Colour and Light Trivia - Amusing guide lists various oddities about
colour and light. Find trivia on 3D, mirrors, light bulbs, and contradictions
about the perception of colour.
- Theory of Color
- Unconventional way of classifying and teaching colors.