Teacher Counseling Strategies
Stopping Test Taking Anxiety: For Teachers
Testing makes a great deal of children nervous and uncomfortable. Here are a number of ways to help students through this difficult time:
- Tell students to take deep breaths.
- Have a motto for your class. Something they will repeat when they feel the stress.
- Develop a "tell" between you and the student with the difficulty.
- Crunchy and chewy snacks help.
Helping Children Cope with Tragedy"
- Listen to children's concerns without interrupting.
- In a patient and reasonable tone, reassure them that they are safe.
- Explain what happened and try not to disguise or avoid it.
- Note that this is something done by some bad people, and that most people can be trusted.
- Emphasize that the victims did not deserve to be hurt, especially when it's a hate crime.
- Talk to children about telling an adult when someone is behaving in cruel ways.
- Say that such events are rare and unusual.