Rotational Motion and Vectors Lesson Plan
In this lesson students will learn the basics about vectors, how to compute
the coordinates of vectors, and how to add vectors. Students will create
their own area problems involving vector addition and solve them.
Angular Momentum Conservation
Goals and Aim
1. Students will understand the physical components and differences of vectors
2. Students will be able to graph and compute physics problems and components into vector representation.
3. Studentswill understand that if you apply force to an object perpendicular to the direction of its motion causes the object, the object will change directions; but not necessarily speed.
4. Students can explain that circular motion requires repeated or constant force focused towards the dcenter of the circle.
5. Students can calculate centripetal acceleration using the following equation: a = v2 / r.
1.Students will use equations and calculators to determine the tension
in a swinging pendulum
2. Students will listen to and discuss Angular momentum concepts presented to them
3. Students will apply conservation of angular momentum to examples of rotating objects.
4. Students will use graphs to understand vector components.
5. Students will use graphs to understand the resultant of multiple vectors.
Laptop with YouTube access
YouTube for video
1. Students watch YouTube video of Steve Trotter pendulum swing stunt.
1. Students copy the picture down in their notes and record given parameters.
2. Teacher presents definitions of Angular momentum and conservation law.
3. Teacher demonstrates examples of angular momentum and precession
1. Students Calculate tension support required by the cable.
2. Student discuss why the stunt failed.
3. Students predict what will happen with each angular momentum demonstration.
D. Independent Practice-
1. Students will complete a problem from their homework at end of class.
E. Accommodations (Differentiated Instruction)-
1. Material is presented on the overhead and is posted online for their review outside of class.
F. Checking for understanding-
1. Students will share out answers to angular momentum demonstrations.
1. Students complete problems from textbook.
1. Students will be able to complete problem set from textbook.