Lesson Plan Title : Romeo and Juliet Act 2, Scene 1 and 2
Age Range: Grade 9 through Grade 12 (High School Level)
Overview and Purpose : The learner will:
- apply a variety of reading strategies by completing a journal entry after reading a selection independently.
- review and evaluate comprehension by answering question and completing a graphic organizer.
Literature Book: Romeo and Juliet Act 2, Scene 1 and 2
Have students review Act 2, Scene 1 and 2 by answering the following questions.
Scene 1 Review Questions:
1. Who is trying to find Romeo?
2. Why does Mercutio make fun of Romeo's love for Rosaline?
3. What does Mercutio do to try to anger Romeo and make him respond?
Scene 2 Review Questions: Lines 53-149
1. Who speaks first at the beginning of the scene, and who is that speech spoken to?
2. Who speaks second in the scene, and who is that speech spoken to?
3. Why is Juliet worried about Romeo's name?
1. What does Juliet suggest Romeo do if he is serious about her?
2. Why does Juliet call Romeo back after she has said good-bye?
Have students create a graphic organizer to analyze and understand the conversation between Romeo and Juliet in the balcony scene.