The Online Teacher Resource
Receive free lesson plans, printables, and worksheets by email:
- Reading Builders
- World Leader Series
- Superb Lesson Series
- Customs, Symbols, and History
Africa, Asia, Australia, Antarctica,
North America, South America, Europe,
Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean,
Arctic Ocean, Antarctic Ocean, North, South, East, w West
1. Students will learn the 7 continents and 5 oceans.
2. Students will participate in shared reading literacy with the teacher and classmates.
3. Students will listen as the teacher reads to him or her.
4. Students will briefly review North, South, East, and West.
1. Given an unlabeled map of Earth, students will label and identify 9 out of the combined total of 7 continents and 5 oceans.
2. Given no materials, students will list all 7 continents and 5 oceans with 100% accuracy.
3. Students will successfully read a given social studies text on the continents aloud with classmates and the teacher without errors detected.
4. Students will listen without distraction as the teacher reads a given book on continents to the class.
document camera, smartboard and computer, continent book to read to class, lesson fill in the blank worksheet, guided practice Wordfind and Crossword, paper assignment for students to label continents and oceans for independent practice at home, power point of continent and ocean facts
1. Sing song/simple rhyme about continents. Show students lyrics on a document camera. Have them join in and sing with me.
2. Facilitate coed competitive game as their pre-assessment. I tally coed team points using the whiteboard.
3. Every 3rd round is for 4 points
4. I give a fact about continent or ocean, and student answers by saying the correct continent or ocean (questions already typed up and same questions will be mirrored and imitated in the post-assessment)
1. After game, distribute FILL IN THE BLANK worksheets.
2. As I teach, I will flip through original power point with pictures that I created to go along with my very brief lecture.
3. To motivate their attention, the worksheet will not have any answers. Students must only listen to the lesson from me to answer the blank lines in their FILL IN THE BLANK worksheet
4. Use inquiry to check students are successfully writing the answers in the BLANKS.
5. Repeat statements that contain the answers to their FILL IN THE BLANK.
6. Walk about the room to ensure each child has finished.
1. Distribute wordfind and crossword.
2. Instruct students to complete them within their already organized groups with peers.
3. Remind them that their now completed FILL IN THE BLANK will be helpful to them.
D. Independent Practice-
1. Inform students that their homework is to correctly label a map worksheet with the continents and oceans they have learned today. An example of a map is with their Wordfind and Crossword worksheet.
E. Accommodations (Differentiated Instruction)-
1. Sight: verbal instruction, working with peers to completed wordfind and crossword.
2. Hearing: PowerPoint images, document camera, handouts/worksheets
3. Learning Disability: working with peers provides extra support, I'll walk about to monitor and encourage progress, close proximity when possible, visual images on power point, and continent song
4. Accelerated: Students can label countries, seas, and rivers that they are able to identify.
F. Checking for understanding-
1. I will check through Inquiry that students understand and are completing their FILL IN THE BLANK throughout the lesson.
2. Go over areas so that students can have another opportunity to hear the answers.
1. Have a few volunteer students get up in front of class and share their nationality, identifying the continent they or their ancestors came from.