The Pros and Cons of Getting an Education Online
If you are one of those who are thinking of trying out an online education, then you should consider learning the advantages and disadvantages of being enrolled in this school. Online schools have indeed become among the most popular options especially for those people who are looking for ways to get their most desired degree without ruining their hectic schedules. This article aims to provide you a list of the pros and cons of online schools so you will know if this is indeed the best option for you.
Advantages of Online Education
1. It offers convenience to students. Online schools provide utmost convenience to their students since they are capable of providing the highest quality of education without requiring their students to leave their homes. This will allow you to study at your most comfortable time and avoid the hassles of dealing with face to face interactions with instructors and fellow students, inconvenient class schedules and transporting to and from school. This will relieve you from all forms of stress linked to studying in a traditional school.
2. It gives you flexible and self-paced form of study. Flexibility of study is considered to be one of the key features of online schools. The reason behind this is that online class schedules are not set. This allows you to attend your online class at the most convenient time for you. The flexibility of online schools also allows you to study based on your own learning skills.
3. It offers a wide range of subjects and courses. Online schools provide you with a great number of choices when it comes to courses and subjects that are capable of meeting the requirements of the kind of degree that you aim to accomplish. Considering the many choices that you have, you will never have a hard time finding out the course that perfectly meets your skills.
4. It has great availability of schooling materials. The materials that you need for your online school program can be easily accessed on the internet. You will no longer need to pay for expensive books and any other learning tools as the learning materials can actually be downloaded online. Most online schools post all of the essential documents and transcripts that you need for your schooling. You can also easily access downloadable reading, live discussions and emails for you to use in your study. The best part about online schooling is that your questions can be quickly answered through forums, chat rooms and emails.
Disadvantages of Online Education
1. No face to face interaction. Since you will be studying online, you will experience the lack of social interaction. The process of studying online lacks the spontaneous and natural exchange of ideas that can only be experienced in a real classroom with your classmates and your instructors around. Despite the fact that there is still interaction through emails and chats, the fact that the interaction is not physical can result to you having a weak social life.
2. It is highly dependent on technology. Online education requires you to use a high speed internet connection to ensure that you easily access and watch the videos given by your school. High speed internet connection is also important when it comes to downloading essential files. The worst part about this is that if something goes wrong with your PC, then there is a great possibility that you will miss out on your classes and deadlines.
3. It requires a great deal of self motivation. If you want to be successful when studying in an online environment, then it is extremely important for you to be strongly motivated. It is also advisable for you to have a generous dose of discipline. The reason behind this is that since online schools do not have set schedules, then it is you who will make the decision on how to fit your classes into your daily schedule. If you lack motivation and discipline, then it will be much easier for you to fail since there is nothing that will push you towards completing the course.