needs Bell Atlantic?
Problem: What is sound and how does it travel?
Materials: pencils, 2 paper cups, 9-yard piece of string, an
- Use the pencil to make a small hole in the bottom of each cup.
- Thread the ends of the string through the holes in the cups.
- Knot each end of the string to keep them from pulling through the
- Have your partner hold one cup while you hold the other. Hold the
cups by placing your thumb and index finger on the rim.
- Walk away from your partner until the string is stretched tightly
- Hold the cup to your ear while your partner speaks softly into the
- On a piece of paper, wriite down five sentences (at least ten words
each). Read those sentences to your partner through the apparti that
you have created. Your partner must try to hear what you say and write
it down on a piece of paper. Read each sentence twice and then compare
notes to see how many they got right and then trade places and repeat
- What is sound? What kind of waves carries sound?
- Compare the transmission of sound in solids, liquids, and gases.
- What is the Doppler effect?
by: The Online Teacher Resource (www.teach-nology.com)
© Teachnology, Inc. All rights reserved.