For this activity, you will need the following materials:
-A box of paperclips
-A shoe (your own)
-Book (math book)
-Stapler (on my desk)
1. Play this game at, http://www.funbrain.com/measure/index.html.
Start on the easy level and work your way up!
2. Sign into brainpopjr.
3. Go to the math page and select "measurement."
4. Click on the movie, "inches and feet."
5. Watch the video.
6. After you are finished watching the video, click on the
"activity" below the movie.
7. Complete the activity and print your results! :).
Now, me hearty, you must follow the steps below to help you
on your measurement hunt. Remember the classroom rules, because
nobody wants to be a scallywag!
1. Grab a piece of yarn from your teacher.
2. Use a straw if needed to help with measuring using a starting
3. Search around the room for something SHORTER than your
4. Search around the room for something LONGER than your string.
5. Search around the room for something EQUAL in length to
6. Gather your 3 items and draw each item in the appropriate
box on the following worksheet (attach).
7. Answer the following questions on your worksheet:
What strategy did you use on your hunt?
Did you measure everything in sight? Explain.
8. Put all the items exactly where they were before you
9. Discuss with a partner your findings and the answer to
10. Turn in your worksheet to your teacher.