Receive free lesson plans, printables, and worksheets by email:
Olympic Games Lesson Plans
- 2004 Summer Olympics Internet Scavenger Hunt - Have you ever been on one using the Internet? In this activity, students will participate in an Internet scavenger hunt as they search for the answers to questions about the 2004 Summer Olympics.
- Exploring the History, Purpose and Values of the Olympic Games - The Olympic Games are the world's largest exhibition of athletic skill and competitive spirit. They are also displays of nationalism, commerce and politics. These two opposing elements of the Olympics are not a modern invention, but date back to ancient times. In this four-week project, students will examine the conflict between the Olympic movement's ideals and the economic and political events that impact the Games.
- Keyboarding Olympics - Elementary students use friendly competition with olympics-type awards to increase their keyboarding skills.
- Fractions in the Olympics- "To provide practice in adding fractions with like and unlike denominators."
- Mark Twain Olympics - The purpose of this activity is to use the Olympic Theme to promote an "all school" interdisciplinary event as a culmination of the school year.
- Olympic Field Day - The purpose of this event is to provide a theme-based field day every four years that helps celebrate the Summer Olympics.
- Olympic Games for Kids- This is an opportunity for young children to get acquainted with the Olympic Games, but most importantly the central message during the activities is one of friendship and peace.
- Olympic Training Center- "How can biomechanics help an athlete?"
- Our Anthem - They use the melody of America/"My Country 'Tis of Thee" to cooperatively brainstorm and write their own town or school anthem.
- PEACElympics - The purpose is to provide a developmentally appropriate field day experience for all children while targeting peace education and environmental awareness objectives.
- Nursery Rhyme Olympics- "To create games for young children to play based on the current unit and learn about the Olympic games at the same time."
- Winter Olympic Games Project- To have students learn about the Winter Olympic Games by tracking a particular event.
- Winter Olympic History Year By Year- "Historic stats about the Winter Olympic Games provide the data. Students create the chart. Teaching master included."