Lesson Plan Title : Communicating Through Art
Overview and Purpose: Communicate using no talking or written language.
Students will learn to connect colors with specific emotions and also identify critical characteristics of themselves.
1. Students will be able to recognize connection made between emotions
2. Students will be able to identify critical characteristics.
3. Students will be able to handle given materials appropriately.
1. No talking- Students are able to do the project without talking.
2. Turns- Students take their turn after the previous student is finished and after they place their implement down.
3. Care- Students are able to appropriately use and manage materials.
18 x 24 White sheets of paper, Crayons, Acrylic Paint, Brushes, Water Cups, Graphite, Color Pencils.
1. Explain the project. "Many of us know each other and I am sure we can
go around the room and tell each other a little bit about ourselves, but
can you tell your partner something about yourself without saying a word?
2. Give some personal examples. Draw a dog with a black crayon," I used a black crayon and drew a dog because I have a black and white dog, plus I like crayons".
3. Also explain that simple colors can describe a person and their characteristics, "I could use blue which is commonly associated with being sad, but also could mean calm".
4. Ask for more examples in the class similar to the examples given.
1. Draw the dog with a black crayon. Showing I have a black and white dog.
2. Explain the materials available and their uses.
1. Students will remain quiet while participating until the discussion
part of the project.
2. First drawing period is 10 minutes with 10 minute discussion then with another 10 minute drawing conversation.
3. All the materials will be used appropriately.
1. Students may draw something that makes them Happy, Sad, Mad...etc.
1. Children with special needs will receive assistance and or be paired with myself.
1. Appropriate examples from students based on given examples during the
2. Students can repeat the proper place for items.
1. Ask the students to say one thing that their partner told them in their
2. Clean up and place all materials back in their appropriate place.
Students will be evaluated using provided rubric.