Teachnology

The Online Teacher Resource

Go Back   Teachnology Teacher Forum > Preschool / Early Elementary Educators
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Bethbeth81

Default How do you teach kids basic addition and subtraction facts???

I have a group of second graders who are struggling BIG TIME with their basic addition and subtraction facts. Anybody who has a way of teaching basic facts that really works well? I know in college I was told...no drill and practice ...it's bad..blah blah...but these kids understand what addition is...they just can't tell me the facts and miss them on their papers too! What works for you? Your input is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Unregistered
Visiting Teacher

Default "More Mature" teacher

These strategies worked for me when teaching addition facts.
Teach a+b=b+a (4+6=6+4) and generalize it. Then after introducing each strategy use timed drills till mastery is reached for most students.
Teach add 0 (number stays the same)
Teach adding 1 (it's like counting or giving the number after)
Adding 2 (like skip counting - say one number in your head and the next one out loud - that's the answer!)
teach adding doubles (i.e. 1+1, 2+2, 3+3 ....9+9) easy if they can skip count by 2's!
Teach adding doubles plus 1 (i.e. since I know 2+2=4 I know that 2+3=5 or since 7+7=14 I know that 7+8=15)
Teach adding 10's and 1's (it's like place value 10+1=11 (1 ten 1 one), 10+7=17 (1 ten seven ones)
Teach adding 9 plus ones (i.e. since 10+7=17 I know 9+7 will be 16)
This leaves few facts to be menorized.
Once addition is learned subtraction facts follow. Hope this is helpful.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Bethbeth81

Default Thank you!

Thanks so much for your input..i appreciate it!
Old 09-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Unregistered
Visiting Teacher

Default tired teacher but not retired :o)

[QUOTE=bethbeth81;14003]I have a group of second graders who are struggling BIG TIME with their basic addition and subtraction facts. Anybody who has a way of teaching basic facts that really works well? I know in college I was told...no drill and practice ...it's bad..blah blah...but these kids understand what addition is...they just can't tell me the facts and miss them on their papers too! What works for you? Your input is GREATLY appreciated![/QUOTE]
I use touch math. I call it a game and the students that won't memorize their math facts catch on quickly and they feel more confident once they learn the rules of points and circles that are placed on the numbers for value.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Unregistered
Visiting Teacher

Default Help

Do it the oldschool way.Or just use counters. But make sure they don't get used of their fingers.If you really care about your students,than tutor them for no charge.Make sure you give'em treats they like.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:00 AM
Unregistered
Visiting Teacher

Default 1-room schoolhouse teacher

Some things just need to be studied and drilled. Math facts are in this category. But actually kids only need to learn half of the facts because the rest are just the reverse of the first. Ex. 3+7 is the same as 7+3. Drill can be followed by games such as Math Bingo, etc. There are also lots of websites with fun fact games, which the kids love.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:43 PM
vharrell
Visiting Teacher

Default Teaching addition and subtraction

Try Touch Math. Look it up on the internet. They have a "free" teaching video.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Unregistered
Visiting Teacher

Default Dominoes

I do many different things to teach addition. One of the more effective ways is to use dominoes. The students say the equation outloud when they see the domino (i.e. 4+5=9 and then I flip the domino and the student says 5+4=9). The students get used to inverse relationships, picturing facts and eventually stop the counting and the facts become memorable.

We also do drill practice and computer flashcard practice. Dr. Armada's Math keeps track of individual student progress throughout the year and quizzes the students on facts that are difficult.

I hope I helped. Look into domino math books, they are great and yes, so is drill practice, you really need both! Good Luck!!

Christina
Old 09-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Unregistered
Visiting Teacher

Give each student a number line--they can use it to add and subtract until they get the facts memorized. Kids also like using timed tests with basic facts--Mad Minute--which helps them memorize. They have to know they are not competing with each other, just trying to improve their own scores. They are timed for a minute once a day while doing either subtraction or addition problems.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Unregistered
Visiting Teacher

[QUOTE=Unregistered;14246]I use touch math. I call it a game and the students that won't memorize their math facts catch on quickly and they feel more confident once they learn the rules of points and circles that are placed on the numbers for value.[/QUOTE]

Please do not do this stategy unless there is a learning disability. I am a first grade teacher now and learned touch/dot math as a child. This strategy was intended for children with learning disabilities only. This technique stays with the person for life. It actually slows them down in every aspect of math, even in adulthood you are touching the dots in your head while doing addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Please read the research before implementing.